Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Community, Licensing, Safety and Security

Information for IPY Researchers Working in Canada's North


  1. Introduction
  2. Recommended list of Health and Safety Training for Northern IPY Researchers
  3. Northern Health and Safety Training Guides
  4. Health and Evacuation Insurance
  5. Rabies Vaccinations
  6. Licences and Permits
  7. Research Relationships with Northern Communities
  8. Northern Community Information
  9. Northern Research Facilities
  10. Northern Search and Rescue Tips
  11. Emergency Contact Phone Numbers for Northern Regions of Canada
  12. Customs and Immigration Information for Foreign Researchers

  1. Introduction

    Canada’s North is a vast region with significant geographical, environmental and cultural variations. Its small population and sparse infrastructure presents challenges to researchers that are seldom encountered in other parts of the world. Scientific studies in the Canadian Arctic are complex and risky. Scientists need to research the specific area(s) they plan on visiting to ensure their preparations are appropriate.

    Travel on the land or water requires preparation and awareness of the harsh climate and its remoteness. Methods of minimizing and responding to risk used in the South may not apply or be effective in the North. Travel in the North requires responsible and informed decision making, proper equipment and skill. Any one traveling in the North needs to self reliant and prepared.

    “Respect the land” is a term commonly heard in the North. It refers not only to the need to leave the land pristine, but also to understand and plan appropriately for the conditions that will be encountered. Failure to do so can lead to unnecessary risk and potentially tragic outcomes.

    Guidelines under the Canada Labour Code as well as provincial/territorial workers compensation boards, federal government and university health and safety policies all outline that researchers are responsible for providing and updating — before conducting field work — necessary training for themselves, students and anyone hired to ensure a safe workplace. This will require that researchers and all northern hires are trained and prepared well in advance of going north.

    It is important that all IPY researchers arrive in Canada’s North prepared to operate in a healthy and safe manner. IPY researchers working in Canada are encouraged to read this information, disseminate to applicable members of the project team and incorporate these measures into project plans. It is recommended that all researchers working in the North carry a copy of the emergency numbers for the northern regions in which they will be conducting work.

  2. Recommended list of Health and Safety Training for Northern IPY Researchers

    • First Aid for all researchers.

    • If working in a remote camp or travelling on the land,

      • Wilderness First Aid. Keep in mind that some of the materials recommended in emergencies (i.e. a tree branch for a splint) will not be available above the tree line.

      • Wilderness Survival Training.  You will need to learn the following basics of:

        • Building a fire with wood, below the tree line, or with a stove above the tree line.

        • Building a shelter.

        • Requesting help in the event of an emergency, i.e. send out a distress signal by satellite phone, VHF radio, Personnel Locator Beacon (PLB) and/or flare.

        • The supplies you should carry with you at all time, such as food, water, fuel, clothing, medical supplies, navigation and communication equipment.

      • Firearms Safety, and

      • Bear Safety.

        • Take a bear safety course, or at least read up on what to do if you encounter a bear. Bears live and roam the North. Do not assume that all species of bears behave the same. Understand and respect the differences.

        • Polar bear safety is applicable to Arctic areas.

        • Black and grizzly bear safety is appropriate for all other areas of the North. Keep in mind that some tips on bear safety may not be realistic in the North – the notion of climbing a tree to escape a bear is not feasible in much of the North due to the absence or very small size of trees.

        • Do everything you can to avoid encounter with bears.

    • Training and safety courses should be completed if working with any of the following:

      • Helicopters,
      • Snowmobiles,
      • Boats,
      • All terrain vehicles (ATV’s), and
      • Chain saws.

  3. Northern Health and Safety Training Guides:

  4. Health and Evacuation Insurance

    Most serious injuries in remote camps and communities in the North will require a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) by air when the local medical treatment can not be provided. 

    Medical treatment and evacuations are very expensive in the North. The average cost of a MEDEVAC from Inuvik, Northwest Territories (NWT) to Edmonton is a minimum of $15,000.  If the researcher must be flown in from the field by helicopter or twin otter, the price would increase substantially.  The daily cost of a hospital bed in the NWT is $1,600. Medical treatment and medications are not included in this price.

    People will be MEDEVAC’d regardless of coverage and those without coverage will be billed at a later date. 

    Canadian Researchers:

    • In most cases, residents and employees of the territory/province in which the incident occurred with a valid health card are covered. Canadian visitors to the region from out of province or territory are not covered unless they are an employee of the Canadian Federal Government.

    • Some provincial/territory health plans cover northern health and evacuation costs, but not all.

    • Please contact your travel agent or insurance provider to find out

      • If additional out of province/territory health coverage is required; and
      • If this coverage includes evacuation insurance for MEDEVAC’s from the North, or whether this is extra coverage is required.

    Foreign Researchers:

    • Foreign researchers are not covered for MEDEVAC or Hospital costs in Canada, and will be billed.

    • Foreign researchers should obtain additional health/evacuation insurance before coming to Canada.

    • Please contact your travel agent or insurance provider for:

      • Out of country health coverage, and
      • To determine if this health coverage includes evacuation insurance for MEDEVAC’s from the North, or if additional coverage will be required.

    Private insurance is only valid the day after it is purchased, so medical insurance should be obtained prior to going north or leaving your country.

  5. Rabies Vaccinations

    If working with any animals in the north with a risk of rabies, such as Arctic foxes, researchers must receive pre-exposure vaccination prior to their field work.  In Nunavut this is a requirement. It is important that the vaccinations be received prior to traveling north as there may be a limited supply in northern communities.

    The vaccinations are a series of three injections given at 0, 7 and 21 days. Ten days after the last injection adequate antibodies should be in effect to provide coverage. A blood test needs to be performed annually to ensure the anti-body levels are sufficient to continue to provide coverage. If anti-body levels are not sufficient further injections are required.

    Whether the pre-exposure vaccination has been given or not, anyone bitten by an animal needs to seek medical attention. Anyone without the pre-exposure vaccination needs to receive medical attention within 24 hours. Those with pre-exposure vaccinations need to seek medical attention within 24 – 48 hours.

    The pre-exposure vaccinations do not eliminate, but rather reduce the need for treatment. Those without pre-exposure vaccinations will receive a series of injections at 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28 days as well as a rabies immunoglobulin injection (RAG). The pre-exposure vaccination reduces the number of injections to 1 and 3 days and eliminates the need for the RAG injection.

    Tests will be done on the carcass of the animal (if retained) to determine if it is rabid, but this can take a significant amount of time as the head must be shipped to a Southern laboratory. It is not safe to wait to see if the animal is rabid before beginning treatment.

  6. Licences and Permits and Permits

    All scientific research in northern Canada will require a research licence.  Please ensure that your project leader has obtained the appropriate permit and licence, or whether you will be required to do so. Scientific licensing and any associated permits can be a complicated process in Canada’s north as each Federal department, Province, Territory and Land Claim Settlement has different requirements. Please start the scientific licensing process well in advance of your field season and refer to the following documents for further information on research licences.

    Research Licensing in Northern Canada: An Overview

    Prepared by the Canadian IPY Secretariat, this document provides a good overview of licensing covering Canada’s northern jurisdictions showing the differences amongst regions with regards to processes and requirements for obtaining licences and permits. Chapters include:

    • Licensing and Permitting under Federal legislation.

      • Parks Canada, National Parks.
      • Department of Fisheries and Oceans - Marine mammals (with the exception of polar bears) and invertebrates are included in the definition of “fish”.
      • Environment Canada (Migratory Birds and National Wildlife Area Permit).
      • Import Export Permits.
      • Radio Permits.
      • Firearms Permits.

    • Regional Science Licences.

      • Nunavut.
      • Northwest Territories.
      • Yukon.
      • Northern Provinces.

    • This document can be found by going to the website, in the section Conducting Research in Canada’s north. Please note that this document may not be up to dates and does not list all of the licences and authorizations required for research in Inuit regions.

    Territorial and Regional Research Licensing Information.

    For more specific information on research licensing requirements for the the territory and regions you will be working in, please refer to the following organizations and websites.


    Canadian Aircraft Regulations:  Transportation of Goods

    • Transport Canada has strict regulations External Link on what can and can not be transported on airplanes, and how dangerous good must be transported. Consult their website to ensure compliance with the regulations.

    • If you have not met the regulations your goods will not be allowed on the plane. This may impact your travel and research.

    To provide you with helpful packing information, and to avoid any unwanted surprises or delays at the airport, please also see the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority website External Link to determine what you can and can’t bring on the plane in your personal luggage.

  7. Research Relationships with Northern Communities

    Reviews of the following guides are recommendations for research in, near and with northern communities.

    • Negotiating Research Relationships with Inuit Communities: A Guide for Researchers External Link PDF, (Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and Nunavut Research Institute)

      • This document includes sections on:
        • Community Perceptions of Research
        • Advantages of Community Involvement in Research
        • Key Issues to Address
        • Elements of a negotiated research relationship
        • Determining the level of community involvement
        • Initiating community contact
        • Research licensing
        • Communication strategy
        • Negotiating a Research Relationship

    • Research Guidelines for Nunatsiavut

      • Please refer to the section the Nunatsiavut Interim Research Process’
      • The Nunatsiavut Inuit Research Advisor, John Lampe can be contacted at:

    • Northern Workshop on Access to Genetic Resources and Associated Traditional Knowledge and Benefit-Sharing, (Environment Canada)

    • Traditional Knowledge Research Guidelines: A Guide for Researchers in the Yukon (Council of Yukon First Nations)
  8. Northern Community Information

    It is important to keep in mind that you are a guest when visiting a northern community and should therefore conduct yourself accordingly. To learn more about the communities you will be working in and the available services, please see the following websites and list of questions you should ask prior to visiting.

    Note: These websites are not updated frequently enough to track the ever changing local business environment. Before finalizing field plans, researchers should contact local businesses and organizations listed in these sites directly to verify the availability of their services.

    • Northern Regional Websites:

      • The Northwest Territories

      • Nunavik (Northern Quebec)

      • Nunatsiavut (Northern Labrador)

      • Nunavut

      • For a current source of issues in Nunavut is the weekly newspaper called the
        Nunatsiaq News” available on-line.

    • The Yukon

    Questions to ask before going North

    It is important when learning about a community to find out about the following:

    • Does the community have potable water?

      • The treatment and supply of potable water in the North is expensive.
      • Some communities have a limited supply of potable water.
      • It is important to not waste or contaminate water.


    • Does the community have any medical facilities?

      • Medical facilities may be limited or not available in Northern communities.
      • Visitors need to ensure they bring sufficient quantities of any prescription or non-prescription drugs that will be required by team members.

    • Is there a functioning taxi or vehicle rental service in the community?


    • Is there a hotel or other accommodation in the community?

      • Are the local hotels or B&B accommodation currently operational and do they provide meals?

    • Does the community have an ATM machine or other financial services (to obtain cash)?


    • Is there a grocery store and other supplies in the community?

      • Northern communities have limited supplies. Communities that are not on a road system bring in their food, fuel and other supplies by barge in the summer or by plane during the rest of the year.

      • If you plan on purchasing food, fuel and/or supplies in the community you need to ensure its availability before you travel.

        • Call the store(s) in the community and find out prices, if they need to order your supplies ahead of time or if they have enough on hand.

    • Do local outfitters and research centres have spare winter clothing in the event the researchers are unable to obtain adequate clothing for seasonal field work?


    • Does this community allow alcohol? Many northern communities have alcohol restrictions and these restrictions will vary by community.

      • Unrestricted: There are no restrictions beyond those that are described in the Liquor Act and Regulations.

      • Restricted: The restriction may limit the quantity and/or frequency of alcohol brought into a community; limit the quantity and hours of sale at a liquor store or require individuals to seek prior approval from a community alcohol education committee to bring in a limited amount of alcohol into a community.  A permit may be required.

      • Prohibited: Alcohol is prohibited.  Prohibitions and restrictions may be permanent, or at specified times of the year (i.e. Christmas).

        • Inspections of baggage may be conducted by the police upon arrival in some communities.  (Airports are considered to be within community boundaries.)
        • Not having the necessary permit or disregarding a ban or restriction could lead to charges being laid under the Liquor Act of the Territory/Province and seriously damage your credibility in the community.
        • To determine if a ban or limit exists contact the community hamlet office or RCMP.
        • In the Northwest Territories call the Liquor Licensing Board at 867-874-2906.

    • Streets drugs are illegal in Canada. Possession will result in criminal charges.


    Northern IPY Coordinators
    For further information on research licensing and permits, and community information please contact a Northern IPY Coordinators in your region of research.

    Bob Van Dijken
    Council of Yukon First Nations
    Phone: (867) 393-9237
    Jamal Shirley
    Nunavut Research Institute
    Phone: (867) 979-7290

    Barrie Ford
    Nunavik Research Centre
    Phone: (819) 964-2925 Ext. 254
    Northwest Territories
    Alana Mero
    Aurora Research Institute
    Phone: (867) 777-3298 Ext. 30

  9. Northern Research Facilities

    Northern research facilities help make the North accessible for scientists by providing vital services. Northern research facilities provide: air and overland transportation, communication equipment, field equipment, accommodations, expert advice and much more. A number of these facilities were built for the last IPY – the International Geophysical Year in 1957-1958 – and few have received any substantial upgrades since then.  As part of IPY 2007 – 2008, northern research facilities were given much-needed upgrades and outdated and unsafe equipment was replaced.

    The Canadian Polar Comission’s website has a map showing the location of all the northern research facilities in Canada’s Arctic with information on the services they provide, contact information and links to their website for further details.

    Canadian Polar Commission: Geomatics Directory

  10. Northern Search and Rescue Tips

    Those venturing on the land and water need to consider that Search and Rescue (SAR) operations in the North can be delayed due to distance, response time, weather and resources.  Assistance may be as close as the nearest community or as far away as a Canadian Armed Forces base in the South.

    Researchers must take this into account in their planning as delayed SAR response times are a reality in the North. Not being prepared can lead to very uncomfortable conditions, harm or even death.  The following are tips for researchers working on the land to go prepared, and what to in the case of a SAR event.


    Incorporate local and traditional knowledge

    • Local knowledge can contribute to the safety of the members of your team. Residents with experience on the land are the experts on travel conditions, safety concerns, minimizing risk and responding to emergencies. Utilize this expertise when planning your trip and before setting out.

    • Contact the local Hunters and Trappers Committee, Canadian Rangers or ask which Elder or community member can provide you with guidance. Respect the information they provide you.

    • Incorporate Northern expertise in your research team. Hire a local person with land skills to accompany and guide you. Respect their knowledge and expertise by following their direction to minimize risk.

    Take Northern Safety Courses

    • See section 2 for the recommended list of health and safety training for northern researchers.

    Weather and Ice

    • Be prepared for all weather conditions at all times. While summers can be very warm in the North, temperatures can change rapidly and snow can occur at any time of the year.

    • If travelling on sea ice, lake ice, or boating in ice-frequented waters, be aware of the ice conditions. Ice may be weaker than it appears. Ice floes can detach from shore and travel significant distances under the influence of wind and currents.

    • Sudden changes in visibility can occur at any time of the year. Fog and ice fog can occur without notice. Be patient and prepared to wait for the weather to clear.

    • Winds are strong in the North and can arise with little warning. Ensure your tent can withstand strong winds and gusts and remain secured to the ground.

    • Monitor the weather and ice conditions; see Environment Canada’s Website External Link. Government forecasts may not always be specific enough for your local region. A local person with traditional knowledge may be available to assist you in reading the local weather and ice conditions.


    • Sunscreen, bug repellent and bug hats, jackets and pants are a must for summer work in the North. Insects have a very short life span in the North, they need to eat and you represent food.

    • Outdoor activity in the winter requires appropriate clothing and equipment. Check with the nearest research centre or community resource to ensure you are bringing suitable boots, socks, parkas, snow and wind pants, gloves, mitts, headwear, face coverings (i.e. a balaclava) etc. Do not assume you will be able to purchase these items in the communities.

    • Snow blindness is a risk when traveling on snow in sunlight. Ensure you have appropriate goggles to prevent this temporary, but debilitating condition.

    • Within the tree line you will find fuel for fire. Beyond the tree line you will need to ensure you have fuel and the ability to make a fire. If bringing a stove make sure fuel is available in the communities you are beginning your land travel from.

    • Bring any specialized clothing and equipment with you that may not be available in the community.

    • Everyone on your team needs to carry food, water and is able to make a fire at all times. Ensure you have enough food for your planned activities. Keep in mind that strenuous physical activity, particularly in the winter, will increase your need for food. Carry extra food in case you are delayed.

    • Summer in the North is a period of intense light. In the winter you will encounter long periods of darkness and twilight. Bring appropriate signalling devices for the season. Mirrors can be used to signal aircraft in the summer, but are of little use in the winter when the sun is below the horizon. Laser flares are an invaluable tool for alerting aircraft in the winter.

    Navigation Tools

    • GPS units are valuable tools; ensure you are comfortable using one.

    • Make sure you have sufficient batteries for each GPS unit.

    • While GPS Units have reduced the need for knowing how to use a compass it is important to have basic map reading and compass skills. Laminate your maps or place them in a plastic zip lock bag to keep them dry.

    • The sun is not a reliable indicator of direction in the North due to the latitude.

    • Compass declination increases as you move north. Be aware of the declination at all times and make the appropriate adjustments to your compass. 

    • Sea ice movement can lead to navigational challenges. You may experience rapid changes in boating conditions resulting from the movement of multi-year sea ice. In addition you may encounter fog in the summer and ice fog in the winter as the sea ice shifts.

    Communication Tools

    • Radio communication in the North is limited by the low density of aircraft radios. In the South a FM radio can put you in contact with planes; this is less likely in the North due to the large geographic area and few planes flying overhead. An Iridium Satellite phone will provide a more secure communications link.

    • Ensure your Satellite phone will work in the areas of the North you will be visiting. Do not assume that what the company tells you is accurate. Call the community, the IPY Northern coordinator or nearest research centre and check.

    • Practice using the satellite phone prior to leaving home. It is important that you can use it quickly and accurately in event of an emergency.

    • Bring the emergency phone list for your region provided in section 10 of this document.

    Personal Locator Beacons (PLB's)

    • The use of Personal Locator Beacons (PLB’s) is not mandatory but carrying one is very highly recommended.

    • These beacons, when activated, send out a distress signal that will be rapidly detected by the Cospas-Sarsat satellite system. This signal serves two purposes. It alerts rescue services that a distress situation exists and it provides accurate information on the location of the distress situation.

    • If you are using a PLB, ensure it is properly registered with the appropriate registrar in your country of origin before you leave. This registration should include your most current personal locator information and designated contacts in the event of an emergency.

    • A 406 PLB with GPS is recommended.

    • Canadian researchers can register their PLB's via email at or by telephone at 1-800-727-9414.

    • Having more than one PLB is recommended. Keep one in camp, and have one while travelling.

    • Keep the PLB’s in a location known to all members of your field team. Please ensure that the PLB’s are in a secure environment and can not be mistakenly activated.

    • Please also ensure that everyone has been trained on operating the PLB prior to leaving for the field. It is important that you can use it quickly and properly in event of an emergency.

    Never Travel Alone

    • Never go anywhere alone. Always use the 'buddy system' where two people are paired up and responsible to keep an eye on each other. This is particularly important in the harsh conditions of the North at any time and particularly in the winter.

    • Always tell someone where you are going and always carry the necessary supplies of fire, first-aid, food, water, and some means of communicating in an emergency situation (Personnel Locator Beacon, GPS and a Satellite Phone)


    File Travel Plans

    • Someone needs to know where you are and your planned route each day. Implement a plan to report in daily to someone reliable who will notify SAR authorities if you fail to check in and they are not able to reach you.

    • If you change your travel plans while in the field, advise the person you are reporting to daily. Let them know of any changes in route, method of travel and arrival time.

    • Report when you conclude a trip. Each year thousands of dollars are wasted and SAR personnel put at risk conducting searches for people who did not report their return from a trip. This is a waste of resources and goodwill. SAR professionals and volunteers need to be available for valid searches. Upon your return advise those you were reporting to that you have returned safely.

    During a SAR event

    • Be prepared to wait for up to several days if you need to be rescued, especially during poor weather conditions.

    • Stay in place and keep warm and dry.

    • Once you have placed a call for help do not leave the immediate area.

    • If you absolutely must leave due to increased danger leave a clear trail for the SAR team to follow while staying as close as possible to your original location.

    • Willows grow in profusion in some areas of the North and can obscure the visibility of anyone among them. To be spotted from the air, ensure that you are clear of the willows. On rivers this may mean anchoring the boat in the middle of the channel.

  11. Emergency Contact Phone Numbers for Northern Regions of Canada

    The following lists provide emergency numbers for the regions of the Northwest Territories, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut, Nunavut and the Yukon.   Northern regions do not have the 911 emergency telephone service.  Some regions have emergency numbers while in other regions; emergency services must be called directly. Note that smaller communities may have no emergency services and you will need to make a long distance call as indicated on the following lists.

    Policing in Canada’s North is provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

    Cell phones do not work in most communities in Canada’s north.  Iridium satellite phones or VHF Radios will be needed for communication outside of a community.

    Please print out and note the emergency contact numbers for the closest communities in which you will be conducting research. 


    Nunatsiavut  Emergency Contact Numbers
    Area Code (709)
    Canadian Coast Guard Search and Rescue 1-800-563-2444

    Community RCMP Fire Medical
    Happy Valley - Goose Bay 896-3383 896-2222 897-2000 (Hospital)
    896-2100 (Ambulance)
    Hopedale 933-3820 933-3701 933-3857 (Community Clinic)
    Makkovik 1-800-709-7267 (in Hopedale) 923-2444 923-2229 (Community Clinic)
    Nain 922-2862 922-2929 922-2912 (Community Clinic)
    Postville 1-800-709-7267 (in Hopedale) 479-9899 479-9851 (Community Clinic)
    Rigolet 1-800-709-7267 (in Happy Valley-Goose Bay) 947-3377 947-3386 (Community Clinic)

    Northwest Territories Emergency Contact Numbers
    Canadian Coast Guard Search and Rescue:
    Marine Radio Channel 16 or call Marine Communications Traffic Services at 867-777-3625

    Emergencies Dial: 1-867-community exchange – 1111

    Community Community Exchange Royal Canadian Mounted Police Fire Medical
    Aklavik 978 978-1111 978-2222 978-2516
    Behchoko (Rae-Edzo) 392 392-1111 392-2222 or
    Colville Lake 709 709-1111 No number 709-2409
    Deline 589 589-1111 589-2222 589-3111
    Dettah 669 669-1111 873-2222 873-2222 (Ambulance)
    669-4111 (Hospital)
    Enterprise 984 Call Hay River
    984-2222 or
    1-867-874-9333 (Ambulance)
    1-867-874-7100 (Hospital)
    Fort Good Hope 598 598-1111 598-2222 598-2211
    Fort Liard 770 770-1111 770-2222 770-4301
    Fort McPherson 952 952-1111 952-2222 952-2586
    Fort Providence 699 699-1111 699-2222 699-4311
    Fort Resolution 394 394-1111 394-2222 394-4511
    Fort Simpson 695 695-1111 695-2222 695-3232
    Fort Smith 872 872-1111 872-2222 872-3111 (Ambulance)
    872-6200 (Hospital)
    Gameti (Rae Lakes) 997 392-1111 or
    Call Yellowknife
    997-2222 997-3141
    Hay River 874 874-1111 874-2222 874-9333 (Ambulance)
    874-7100 (Hospital)
    Inuvik 777 777-1111 777-2222 777-4444 (Ambulance)
    777-8000 (Hospital)
    Jean Marie River 809 Call Fort Simpson
    809-2222 1-867-699-4311 (Fort Providence) or 1-867-874-7100 (Hay River)
    Kakisa 825 Call Fort Providence
    No Number 1-867-699-4311 (Fort Providence) or 1-867-874-7100 (Hay River)
    Lutselk’e 370 370-1111 370-2222 370-3111
    Nahanni Butte 602 Call Fort Liard
    602-2222 1-867-695-3232 (Fort Simpson)
    Norman Wells 587 587-1111 587-2222 587-2250
    Paulatuk 580 580-1111 580-2222 580-3231
    Sachs Harbour 690 Call Inuvik
    1- 867-777-1111
    690-2222 690-4181
    Trout Lake   Call Fort Liard
    206-2222 1-867-695-3232 (Fort Simpson)
    Tsiigehtchic 953 Call Fort McPherson
    953-2222 953-3361
    Tuktoyaktuk 977 977-1111 977-2222 977-2321
    Tulita 588 588-1111 588-2222 588-4251
    Ulukhaktok (Holman) 396 396-1111 396-2222 396-3111
    Wekweeti   Call Yellowknife
    713-2222 1-867-997-3141 (Rae Lakes)
    Wha Ti 573 573-1111 573-2222 573-3261
    Wrigley 581 Call Fort Simpson
    581-2222 581-3441
    Yellowknife 669 669-1111 873-2222 873-2222 (Ambulance)
    669-4111 (Hospital)

    Nunavik  Emergency Contact Numbers
    Emergencies Dial:

    • Police: 1-819-community exchange – 9111
    • Fire: 1-819-community exchange- 9000
    • Medical: 1-819-community exchange- 9090

    Community Community Exchange
    Akulivik 496
    Aupaluk 491
    Inukjuak 254
    Ivujivik 922
    Kangiqsualujjuaq 337
    Kangiqsujuaq 338
    Kangirsuk 935
    Kuujjuaq 964
    Kuujjuaraapik 929
    Puvirnituq 988
    Quaqtaq 492
    Salluit            255
    Tasiujaq 633
    Umiujaq 331


    Nunavut  Emergency Contact Numbers
    Emergencies Dial 1-867-community exchange – 1111
    All of the below numbers are manned 24/7 and should connect you with an on-duty officer. If you cannot reach an officer using the below numbers dial the following HQ number, 1-800-693-1666.

    • Kitikmeot Region: 1-867-983-2542
    • Kivalliq Region: 1-867-645-3625
    • Qikiqtaaruk Region: 1-867-624-4043
    • Iqaluit: 1-867-979-6262

    Community Official Name Community Inuktitut Name Community Exchange
    Arctic Bay Ikpiarjuk 439
    Arviat (formerly Eskimo Point) Arviat 857
    Baker Lake Qamanittuaq 793
    Bathurst Inlet Kingaok  
    Bay Chimo Umingmaktok  
    Cambridge Bay Ikaluktutiak 983
    Cape Dorset Kingnait 897
    Chesterfield Inlet Igluligaardjuq 898
    Clyde River Kangiqtugaapik 924
    Coral Harbour Sallit 925
    Gjoa Haven Uqsuqtuq 360
    Grise Fiord Ausuittuq 980
    Hall Beach Sanirajak 928
    Igloolik Iglulik 934
    Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay) Iqaluit 979, 975
    Kimmirut (formerly Lake Harbour) Kimmirut 939
    Kugluktuk (formerly Coppermine) Qurluqtuq 982
    Nanisivik Nanisivik 436
    Pangnirtung Panniqtuuq 473
    Pelly Bay Kugaaruk 769
    Pond Inlet Mittimatalik 899
    (formerly Broughton Island)
    Qikiqtarjuaq 927
    Rankin Inlet Kangiqliniq 645
    Repulse Bay Naujaat 462
    Resolute Bay Qausuittuq 252
    (formerly Belcher Islands)
    Sanikiluaq 266
    Taloyoak (formerly Spence Bay) Talurjuaq 561
    Whale Cove Tikirarjuaq 896

    Yukon  Emergency Contact Numbers
    Emergencies Dial “0” for operator, give the operator the name of the community where help is required.  If you cannot stay on the telephone, tell the operator the exact location of the emergency.

    • Poison Control: 1-867-393-8700
    • Forest Fire: 1-888-798-3473
    • Spills and Environmental Emergencies: 1-867-667-7244
    • Marine and Air Search and Rescue: 1-800-567-5111

    Community Com- munity Exchange RCMP Fire Ambulance Nurse
    Beaver Creek 862 862-5555 862-2222 862-4444 or
    Burwash Landing Destruction Bay 841 867-634-5555
    call collect
    as above
    841-2221 841-3333 841-4444 as above 841-4444 as above
    Carcross 821 821-5555 821-2222 821-4444 821-4444
    Carmacks 863 863-5555 863-2222 863-4444 863-4444
    Dawson 993 993-5555 993-2222 993-4444 993-4444
    Elsa/ Keno City 996 867-996-5555
    call collect
      1-867-996-4444 (Mayo) 1-867-996-4444 (Mayo)
    Faro 994 994-5555 994-2222 994-4444 994-4444
    Haines Junction 634 634-5555 634-2222 634-4444 634-4444
    Mayo 996 996-5555 996-2222 996-4444 996-4444
    Old Crow 966 966-5555 Pull boxes around the community 966-4444 966-4444
    Pelly Crossing 537 537-5555 537-3000 537-4444 537-4444
    Ross River 969 969-5555 969-2222 969-4444 969-4444
    Swift River   1-867-390-5555 (Teslin)   1-867-390-4444 (Teslin) 1-867-390-4444 (Teslin)
    Tagish   867-821-5555 (call collect) 399-3222 399-3222 1-867-821-4444 (Carcross)
    Teslin 390 390-5555 390-2222 390-4444 390-4444
    Upper Liard   536-5555 (Watson Lake) 536-2221
    (Watson Lake)
    (Watson Lake)
    (Watson Lake)
    Watson Lake 536 536-5555 536-2222 536-4444 536-4444
    (Golden Horn, Hootalinqua, Ibex Valley, Marsh Lake, Mendenhall, and Mount Lorne)
    393 911 911 911 393-8700
    If no answer call   1-867-667-5555
    (no charge)
      1-867-667-3333 1-867-393-8700

  12. Customs and Immigration Information for Foreign Researchers

    This section provided by Canadian Border Services Canada (CBSA) presents additional information to be used as guidelines in assisting international IPY participants in preparation for their visit to Canada, and to help facilitate the temporary entry of IPY participants and their goods.

    It outlines various Canadian Government legislative requirements that may be required at the time of entry and during their stay. This information is not all-inclusive.

    It is the responsibility of the participants to obtain prior approval from other government agencies regarding any topic that may be subject to requirements of those government departments.

    For general information about Canada, please visit the Government of Canada’s website External Link.

    Temporary Importation of Baggage
    Following is some of the information that is relevant to your visit to Canada as part of the IPY event. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website provides a wealth of information regarding the Agency, the types of programs and services it offers, and what you need to know in preparation for your event. For additional information please visit the CBSA website at

    The CBSA uses D Memorandum, which is legislation, regulations, policies and procedures, to administer its programs. For a complete list of Customs D Memoranda, please visit the CBSA website. Following are the memoranda that apply to this event.

    Memorandum D2-1-1 ‘Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances by Non-
    Residents’ explains the entitlements and outlines the conditions under which nonresidents may temporarily import their baggage and conveyances without the payment of duties under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

    Visitors may bring with them certain goods for their own use in Canada as ‘personal baggage’ duty- and tax-free, provided all items are reported at customs on arrival and are not subject to restrictions.

    The CBSA assists other government departments in controlling the importation of certain goods into Canada. Included are such items as firearms, ammunition, fireworks, cultural property, vehicles, animals and animal products, plants and plant products, and certain food and drug products. This list is not all encompassing but provides some examples of goods that are controlled, restricted, or prohibited.


    For further information relating to the temporary importation of baggage and conveyances by non-residents, please visit the CBSA’s website.


    Importing Scientific Equipment
    Memorandum D2-1-2 ‘Foreign Expeditions in the Canadian Northoutlines the procedures for the CBSA clearance of articles and equipment being imported for scientific and exploratory expeditions conducted by foreign organizations in the Canadian north above the 60th parallel.

    Goods for use in scientific or exploratory expeditions conducted or sponsored by a scientific or cultural organization, an institution of learning or a foreign government may qualify for temporary duty-free importation under tariff item No. 9993.00.00, so long as the goods will be exported at the end of the event, or destroyed, or otherwise expended to the satisfaction of a CBSA officer.

    Any goods or equipment that may be brought into Canada for scientific purposes by this expedition are goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) exempt under the “Scientific Expedition Remission Order, 1994, reference D8-1-1, using tariff item 9906.00.00 and Special Authority Code 95-132. Qualifying goods include instruments, apparatus, photographic equipment, machines or their accessories used to conduct experiments or gather information, and tools specially designed for the maintenance, checking, gauging or repair of such equipment. Spare parts are also eligible.

    All relevant documentation should be attached to the request, including a list of the items to be imported with a complete description and serial numbers, where applicable. Aircraft and vessels to be used in the expedition should be identified in the documentation and a copy of their itinerary included.

    Members of the expedition are reminded that their equipment is under CBSA control while in Canada and must be exported at the conclusion of their visit.

    For further information relating to foreign expeditions in the Canadian north, please visit the CBSA’s website.

    A copy of the Scientific or Exploratory Expeditions Remission Order may be found on the Department of Justice Canada’s website External Link.


    Duty Free Goods
    Memorandum D8-1-1 ‘Temporary Importation’ (Tariff Item No 9990.00.00) outlines the conditions under which goods may qualify for duty-free entry under tariff item No. 9993.00.00. It also identifies those circumstances where temporary imported goods are entitled to full or partial relief of the goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST).

    Generally, all goods being imported temporarily will qualify for customs duty-free under tariff item No. 9993.00.00, provided these goods:
    Will not be sold, leased or further manufactured or further processed while in Canada;
    Will be imported in no greater quantity than is reasonable for their intended use;
    Will be exported upon the departure of the importer or within such other period of time as is reasonable related to the purpose of the temporary admission

    After the end of the event, any goods that remain in Canada, which have not been destroyed or otherwise expended to the satisfaction of a CBSA officer, become liable for the payment of duties and taxes and must be documented on a Canada Customs Coding Form (B3).

    For further information relating to temporary importation, please visit the CBSA’s website.

    Some goods, even though they are being imported temporarily, are subject to other government department requirements and cannot be released by the CBSA until all the necessary inspections are completed, and any required documents or certificates are produced. For information on other federal government requirements, please visit CBSA’s website.

    Passports, Work Permits and Temporary Residents Visa
    All persons seeking admission into Canada must properly declare them self to the CBSA. All visitors must have a valid passport and visa (if required). If you are a citizen of the United States you do not require a passport to enter Canada, however you should carry with you your proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a certificate of Indian Status, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

    All travellers to Canada must have valid travel documentation, such as a passport, and be in good health. A traveller may also need a Temporary Resident Visa, a medical examination and a letter of invitation from a Canadian source.

    Some travellers may be inadmissible to Canada for reasons such as criminal activity, human rights violations, organized crime, security, and health or financial. For more information on inadmissibility External Link, please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

    Depending on where you live and the reason for your visit, you will need to meet certain entry requirements. In some cases, if you plan to stay in Canada for a certain period of time, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa. For more information relating to visa requirements External Link, please visit CIC’s website.

    A person applying for a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada may be asked to provide a letter of invitation from someone in Canada. A letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued. Your application will be reviewed and a determination made by a Visa officer to ensure you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. For more information relating to letters of invitation External Link, please visit CIC’s website.

    Some temporary workers require a work permit. The requirements and processing times depend on what sort of work you will be doing while in Canada. For more information relating to work permits External Link, please visit CIC’s website.

    A number of cost recovery and administrative fees are payable by applicants for processing applications of various types and for certain citizenship and immigration procedures. However, all fees are subject to change without notice. In general, fees are payable at the time of application. For more information relating to applicable fees External Link, please visit CIC’s website.

    Additional information is available on the CIC Web site External Link.

    Duties and Taxes
    The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers tax laws for the Government of Canada and for most provinces and territories, as well as various social and economic benefit and incentive programs delivered through Canada’s tax system.

    For more information relating business travel within Canada External Link, please visit CRA’s website.

    The Visitor Rebate Program has been cancelled effective April 1, 2007. However, a new program called the 'Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program' came into effective April 1, 2007. This new program offers GST/HST relief to non-resident consumers and non-resident non-registered GST/HST registered businesses for short-term and/or camping accommodations in Canada included in a tour package and for certain properties and/or services in the course of conventions held in Canada.
    For more information, please visit CRA’s website External Link.

    For additional information relating to Canada’s tax laws and regulations for visitors External Link, please visit CRA’s website.

    Personal Baggage for Import and on Canadian Airlines.
    The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) goal is to ensure the security of you and your family. CATSA’s mission is to protect the public by securing critical elements of the air transportation system. Its responsibilities include pre-board screening of passengers and their belongings, explosives detection systems at Canada’s airport, implementation of a restricted area identification cards and the screening of non-passengers entering airport restricted areas.

    To provide you with helpful packing information External Link for your next trip, and to avoid any unwanted surprises or delays at the airport, please visit CATSA’s website.

    Whether traveling for business or pleasure, domestically or internationally, all passengers are required to go through pre-board screening checkpoints before heading to their gate for departure. To determine what you can and can’t bring onto the airplane, please visit CATSA’s website.

    For additional information relating to air travel, please visit CATSA’s website External Link.

    Medical Supplies
    The CBSA assists Health Canada in controlling the importation of drugs into Canada.
    These drugs include but are not limited to, prescription drugs, narcotics, controlled and restricted drugs, products that can be purchased over the counter without a prescription, drugs unapproved for sale in Canada, and products subject to special measures. Visitors may need a permit from Health Canada to bring many of these pharmaceuticals into the country. Please refer to Memorandum D19-2-2 by visiting CBSA’s website.

    Personal importations of medicines are permitted in single-treatment size or a three-month personal supply. Additionally, prescription drugs must be clearly identified in the original packaging with a label that specifies what they are and that they are being used under prescription. However if this is not possible, it is suggested the visitor carry a copy of the prescription or a letter from their doctor.

    All narcotics or controlled and restricted drugs should be securely packed in a sealed package that cannot be opened without breaking the seal.

    Government regulations require that the team’s medical staff import the team’s pharmaceuticals in a quantity that is reasonable for the number of team members, their age and type of events; that only the team members importing them consume the pharmaceuticals; that all unused portions are exported at the end of the event and adequate records of consumption are kept.

    For additional information on the importation of drugs for human use, please visit Health Canada’s website.

    If your team is importing medical devices as part of your research, please refer to Health Canada’s Medical Device Directive.

    For additional information, please visit Health Canada’s website.

    Food, animals, plants and related products from foreign countries
    Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The Government of Canada protects the health of Canadian animals, plants and natural habitats by restricting the importation of food, animals, plants and related products from foreign countries. These items can introduce harmful diseases, pests, viruses and microorganisms.

    Canada's import restrictions apply to travellers. As a general rule, every traveller entering Canada must declare all food, animals, plants and related products they are carrying. Declarable items that do not pose a risk are returned and can be brought into the country. Those that could affect Canada's animals, plants and natural habitats are confiscated.

    Travellers are encouraged to inform themselves about the rules and restrictions that apply. To determine the most up-to-date information about what can and cannot be brought into Canada External Link, please visit the Government of Canada’s website.

    If you have questions about the admissibility of a specific product External Link, please visit the CFIA’s website.

    For more information relating to the importation of food, animals or plants External Link, please visit the CFIA’s website.

    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is the Canadian national police service and an agency of the Ministry of Public Safety Canada.

    The Canada Firearms Centre oversees the administration and regulations governing the possession, transport, use of and storage of firearms in Canada. The Registrar of Firearms is responsible for the decision-making and administrative work related to registration certificates, authorizations to export and authorizations to import. If you are planning to import firearms External Link, please visit their website for visitors and non-residents at .

    For more information relating to the RCMP External Link, please visit their website.